Saturday, September 09, 2006

Changing my Mind

The CHAP child's Aran sweater that I mentioned earlier did not work out as I hoped. The fabric was stiff and uncomfortable when I knitted, and that was just the ribbing with bobbles. Over the week, I read the Yarn Harlot's book, Knitting Rules, and decided that there is no point in putting in that kind of work on yarn I hate. I am going to ebay all this yarn and buy nicer yarn for the heirloom sweaters.

Meanwhile, I knitted and felted a pair of the Fiber Trends felted clogs for myself. I made them from Too Teal Patons Classic Merino, and they felted in only 20 minutes in my front-load washer. I am looking forward to wearing them when they dry.

I am in the process of losing weight, and none of my "school clothes" fit. This is a good thing. In the fall and winter I wear mostly sweaters and slacks or skirts because our rooms are heated, but the hallways aren't. Most days here are relatively mild unless we are having a blizzard, so I can make it from the car to the school without a coat if I wear a sweater. I hate driving in a coat!
Now many of my sweaters are too big, even for the "oversize" look. I have hunted down a few on ebay because I don't want to spend a lot of money on sweaters that I hope will soon be too big also. I decided that a poncho would be a quick project that would also "shrink" with me. I'm knitting the Very Harlot Poncho from her blog in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes Arctic Pool. I can wear it over some cotton turtlenecks. The only problem is that it is such easy knitting that I keep knitting right past the YO's because I'm not paying attention. I've tinked more on this poncho than on my last 3 pairs of socks put together!

As soon as I can get my hands on some solid black sock yarn (thank heavens for Ott lites), I have a committment to knit a pair of socks for Socks for Soldiers. I somehow feel I need to do this. My grandmother knitted for WWI, my mother for WWII, so I feel that this will be some sort of connection with women and history that I can't quite articulate. I remember finding my mother's sock knitting needles when I was a child--I can't seem to find them now--and she explained what she used them for. Ironically, she never taught me to knit or knitted again herself although she was talented with a crochet needle and a sewing machine.

2 comments:

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

Hi Jane! I came over to check out your blog from Knitter's Review. :-) Hey, congratulations on your shrinking self. Loose clothes? A great problem to have!

Knitting Rose said...

Keep up the weight loss - good for you. I am in the same boat and I am just wearing what I can - I guess i need to go to thrift stores to pick up some clothes. Either that or become a seamstress. I am sure that would come in handy. Thank you for knitting for our soldiers. My three sons are in the armed forces (Army, Navy & Marines) and I appreciate all the support they are given. I am trying to send them and their buddies socks -but I can't keep up and I know the socks for soldiers is a wonderful program.
KNIT ON!