Monday, September 04, 2006

Dress for Anticipated Grandniece




Wow! That title makes me feel old!

I finished the dress this afternoon. It is adapted from "Katie," a Wendy Schoen design for Petit Poche. It's a wonderful pattern to do interesting things with. A couple of years ago, I did a similar outfit for my granddaughter with a blue bunny rabbit jacket and a blue toile Peter Rabbit dress honoring the 100th anniversary of Peter Rabbit. The dress itself is absolutely plain, with long raglan sleeves. The embroidery, based on traditional redwork, is all outline stitch and lazy daisies. I used a Moda Marbles cotton for the jacket, but I departed from traditional heirloom sewing and used Imperial Broadcloth for the dress. The poly/cotton blend won't wrinkle as badly with car seat buckles. Although it doesn't show well in the picture, the color is Rice, a beautiful candlelight ivory.

No comments: