Saturday, November 18, 2006

Finished Object and Found Object



After reading the Yarn Harlot's posts about the speed at which servant children in Victorian times could knit a stocking, I was feeling particularly guilty about UFOs, so I finished one. Here is the Mason-Dixon baby kimono for an expected dgd. We don't know her name--it's a secret for big sister to announce when she arrives--but it starts with an M, so I put her initial on her sweater. The yarn is Cottontots Very Berry. Note: I used my size 6 Balene II circulars for this sweater. I used them on the jumper I knitted for big sister last summer and loved the shape of the points. I discovered about 4 inches into the kimono that the yarn and needles just didn't go together. It almost hurt to knit. I didn't want to change needles, however, because I was afraid it would show, so I managed to finish with them. I have since tried Cottontots on some other needles, and it works fine. It was just a bad combination.

I also made a purchase--a darning egg. I am hoping it will be helpful in working on socks. I tried ebay, but the shipping costs were going to up the price. I found this one at Prairie Peddler Antiques in Clovis, NM. Their prices are usually quite reasonable; and when I walked in and said, "I need a darning egg," the owner produced six. She wanted to know what I was going to darn, and I told her that I was knitting socks. I am not sure she believed me until I pulled a sock and circulars out of my knitting bag. I wish I had my grandmother's egg, but I have not seen it since I was a little girl.

1 comment:

Soonerbeknitting said...

The sweater is gorgeous. You inspired me to buy the book.

I think you will appreciate your darning egg when it is time to Kitchener. Mine made it so much easier.