Monday, December 18, 2006

A Hodgepodge of Projects

I have had the feeling that I've not been making any progress on anything, but I do have some FOs. Clockwise from top: My Cascade Little Si spindle with singles spun from some black and white striped roving from the Sheep Shed Studio; Next, one of a pair of clogs--the other is waiting for more yarn--made for my dh from Paton's Classic Merino by the Fiber Trends pattern. Next, a garter stitch scarf from mystery yarn. This is actually a friend's crochet project. The yarn would just not crochet, so I knitted it quickly so she could give it to her niece for Christmas--10 stitches by 7 feet on size 15s. The white plastic pipe is wrapped with singles of BFL from Spunky Hats; I finally finished the socks from Online Socks Highland Colors. I love the yarn, and the socks are comfy. I used the charts from Sensational Knitted Socks, and I think these are the best gussets I've done so far; Finally, there is the skein of my first handspun yarn. It is brown and white from some very scratchy wool. It has thick and thin spots and some downright lumps, but it is MINE!

On the needles--another pair of plain stockinette socks for my "mindless" knitting moments; my Lacevember project, still unfinished; the other gray clog; and a baby sweater for the other expected dgd out of Pistachio Cotton Ease. I am also spindling at least 30 minutes a day, with mixed results.

What else have I been doing? I teach in a fairly small high school in the rural Texas Panhandle. A large portion of our student body is first or second generation from Mexico; almost all of our student body qualifies for lunch assistance, and we are heavily Title I. This year we decided to have all our students read a novel, The Great Gatsby, at the same time. We read and discussed the novel in English classes, and some of the other departments did related research projects. The choir learned some jazz numbers, and the theatre classes learned the Charleston. Last Friday, we had a luncheon in the school cafeteria. The staff prepared a buffet of hors d'oeuvre-type foods and a fancy dessert. We bought plastic wine glasses and had iced tea and white grape juice fountains. The cafeteria was decorated in white and silver and pastel blue. For some of our students, a buffet was an entirely new experience. After the meal we all watched the Robert Redford movie in the school auditorium. We are very pleased with student response to the project.

No comments: