Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Fiber Experience

One of the things I enjoy most about the area of Texas in which I live is the variety in the weather. At least, I enjoy it when I think about living somewhere where the weather is predictable all the time. I enjoy the change of seasons and the hot summers, beautiful falls, and cooler winters. Even the spring winds and sandstorms are fine as long as there are not too many of them. This year the winter was regularly colder than usual because we had much more snow. Usually we have whole runs of 60s and 70s (Fahrenheit), punctuated by really cold days. This past week, we had temps of 86 on Monday, 60s and 70s the rest of the week, dropping to snow yesterday afternoon and night. We have had scattered flakes all day today. Great weather for knitting; inconvenient weather for spring dresses and Easter egg hunts!






I made an early morning dash on Friday to my daughter's house in a nearby city to deliver some items and to share a fiber experience with my DGD, who is almost 4. We dyed some KP Essentials Bare Tweed to make her a pair of socks. She was somewhat wary of putting the yarn in the vinegar and water to soak, but she did remember putting vinegar in the Easter egg dye last week, so that was OK. She loved mixing in the KoolAid. In fact, she loved it so much that we used all six packages--this yarn is really grapey. However, she balked at the idea of putting the bowl in the microwave, explaining to me seriously that you do not cook socks. Eventually, she found getting to punch the buttons, set a timer, and watch the water turn clear interesting enough to compensate for her misgivings. Washing the yarn and hanging it to dry was ok, too. I brought the slightly damp yarn home with me. I don't think she's quite ready to use the ball winder yet, particularly since I don't have a swift. I suppose I'd better knit quickly! I'm not sure but what she expected finished socks to pop out of the microwave.

2 comments:

Sherie said...

Oh I bet you two had fun with your dyeing! Can't wait to see the grapey socks!

Soonerbeknitting said...

How nice to be able to have that experience with your granddaughter. I know she'll love wearing the socks!