Sunday, May 13, 2007

Fie! Bitten by the Gauge Monster!

I faithfully swatched and washed as per instructions for the FLAK sweater. I had gone down to 5s from the specified 7s because I knit loosely. The gauge was perfect. Then I did the cable swatch. It looked OK, but didn't seem to have as much definition as the pictures on-line, even though I was using the same yarn. There was not specifically a gauge specified. However, when I was looking for how to make the calculations for my shoulder straps, I found that my center panel was much too wide, and when I measured the moss stitch on the end, my gauge was off significantly--17 stitches over 4 inches instead of 22. I guess I'll reknit the cable swatch on 4s.

Since I wasn't in the mood last night after my discovery, I, of course, started a new project. I've been promising myself to work through some EZ techniques this summer, so I cast on for a 4T sweater for my grandson for next winter. I'm using some LB WoolEase from stash. I'm going to combine the camouflage color with some ivory and some black. I'm just on the bottom ribbing, and I can't decide if I'm going to do the hawser sweater or the nalgar. I have about 9 inches to decide, so I can make up my mind when I get there.

OTN--FLAK sweater (sort of)
EZ sweater
Magic Stripes socks

No comments: