Sunday, May 27, 2007

Spinning with Matilda


I named my wheel after Matilda, the wife of William the Conqueror. This is my first wool spinning on her. The roving is the color Tourmaline from Crown Mountain Farms. It's pencil roving, but I'm predrafting down to a finer yarn. I'm having to learn to spin on my own. I read the books, but a video has been immensely helpful in helping me visualize the process--"Spinning Wool--Basics and Beyond" by Patsy Zawistoski. I am going to follow her directions to try to Navajo ply this to preserve the color changes.


OTN--Magic Stripes socks

FLAK KAL aran sweater--ready to start the back

2 comments:

Soonerbeknitting said...

What beautiful yarn you are making.
Hope you have a good summer. I am so glad school is out!

Maggie Ann said...

Good for you...I am a new spinner and have just bought my first Lendrum wheel which I am really happy with. A relative gave me a fleece last week...and I've been washing wool like crazy...but am not happy with the results. Any experience with washing and precarding?