Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Book and a Prayer

I have decidedly NOT been doing academic reading since school was out. Candide is still lying there looking at me accusingly. I have three new methods books by Jim Burke also waiting. Plus, I need to do quick rereads of Pride and Prejudice, Ethan Frome, Ender's Game, and Killer Angels before school starts in August, so of course I'm reading mysteries and romances.

When I find a mystery writer I like, I tend to read everything written up to that point and then move on to someone else. A few years ago, one of those writers was Carolyn Hart. Her books featuring a sleuth named Annie Darling, who owns a mystery book store on a South Carolina island, led me off in fascinating directions toward other writers mentioned in the books. I picked up another Hart mystery a week or two ago for motel reading, Dead Days of Summer. It was, as usual, a good read. It also included a prayer that I had not heard before. I googled it, and it is evidently a poem by Walford Davies:

God be in my head
And in my understanding
God be in my eyes
And in my looking
God be in my mouth
And in my speaking
God be at my end
And at my departing

4 comments:

Soonerbeknitting said...

I love Carolyn Hart! Have you read any by Earlene Fowler?

I am guessing you get to teach Ender's Game - I am very envious. I love the book, but it is just not for 8th graders.

Sherie said...

Great poem! We sang that in choir one time, beautiful.

Yarn Thing said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the wonderful comments on my blog and I do hope you like the podcast...I try to keep it as conversational as possible.

Have a great day!

marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
summerkalcal.blogspot.com

Mags said...

Just stopping by to say "hi"..hope you are enjoying your summer. Your (ruby red) sox (previous post) are great! I too heard vinegar will help set the colour!!!
I really love a mystery...lovely poem.