Sunday, July 08, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket

For some reason, I have been unable to put titles on the last two posts. I don't know what's going on with Blogger. . . .

The Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann is a classic pattern, but I don't think I did a very good job of the one I just made. For one thing, I chose to use Cotton Ease as the yarn. I have used this for a previous baby sweater, and it was great, but it lacks the body and the ability to be blocked that a wool product would have. Garter stitch is sooooo stretchy, and it really needs the springiness of a wool fiber. Furthermore, in worsted, which I needed to use to make the jacket big enough, this jacket is very heavy. For those of you with New England winters, it would be just great, but it is probably too heavy for Texas. We do have very cold weather in the Panhandle in the winter, but it is likely to be followed by mild weather in the '50s or '60s in the next day or two. In fact, we sometimes have that kind of weather change in the same day. I did enjoy making this clever pattern though. The video was very helpful, and I learned about shaping a collar so that it rolls nicely.

Here's a picture:


I have more Cotton Ease and a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern for a hoodie that I think I'll make for the babies. It will be much more practical, I think.

2 comments:

Anna said...

very nice!

Mary said...

Wonderful colors! I'd love to see how it looks on a baby!