Saturday, October 06, 2007

Finally, a Fiber Connection!

I have been looking for a fiber-related group within some sort of driving distance. Even though I know that Whimsy Knits not only spins and knits beautifully, but also lives in the largest nearby community, she didn't know of anyone either. Then, last week, my local newspaper carried a tiny article about a planned event at the Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon, TX. This museum is one of our great area treasures. When someone around here speaks of taking a field trip to the museum, everyone knows which one they are talking about. The article referred to a Saturday afternoon folklife event and mentioned that the Palo Duro Handweavers Guild would be demonstrating weaving and SPINNING! Sure enough, I found this going on right there in public on the museum lawn.

Children were having a chance to take instruction on a 2-heddle? harness loom. It was interesting to watch. I turned down the offer to try. I was afraid I would be in the market for a loom if I didn't watch out!


Of course, I caught this spinner just as she was getting up to leave, but if you look in the basket on her chair, she has a number of spindles. Not only had she been spinning her own Rambouillet fiber on her Ashford Traditional, but she had been showing children how to spin on some wooden spindles. I couldn't get a good picture of that because so many were crowded around when I tried. We are going to have a medieval fair in connection with our school-wide reading of King Arthur, and I got some good ideas from her on how to demonstrate fiber skills for that.
In the foreground is a table with various woven items, some more spindled fiber, and a very nice lady demonstrating a CD spindle. To demonstrate beginning weaving, they had one of the loop potholder looms. This particular lady showed me a beautiful scarf she had woven on a triangle loom. It was a lovely weave, and it was in "my" colors.

Best of all, they told me that their guild is not exclusive--there are knitters as well as weavers. They are going to e-mail me before the next meeting. It would be a little more nighttime driving than I may want to do in the dead of winter if the weather forecast is bad, but I should be fine the rest of the year. I'm very excited!

3 comments:

Soonerbeknitting said...

Wow! Would you let me know when and where? I don't want to start spinning - at least until I work through the boxes of yarn I already have, but I would like to see what they do.

Sherie told me she had heard there is a S & B group meeting in Amarillo, but I have not been able to get any more information.

Carrie said...

Yea! Did you wave at the ugly buffalo outside my old apartment?

Knitterary said...

That sounds like a lovely outing. I hope your new group works out well for you. My knitting group is my rock. :)

I noticed your goal of knitting a Starmore this year. Are you in my Fulmar group?

Thanks for dropping by my blog!