Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Two Projects Finished!

This is the Knitting Pure and Simple Neckdown Child's Bolero, one of their newer patterns. The yarn is my own handspun, made from lilac Falkland roving from Abby's Yarns. The actual color contains a little more fuschia (That's a fancy word for purple.) than shows with the flash. I was rather horrified when I realized how much thick and thin there was to the yarn. So much for my spinning skills! It has a more rustic look than I had visualized. I loved making the pattern, though. The only hard part was the sleeves because I was alternating balls of yarn every two rows. That made the underarm join a little thicker than I would have liked. I'd like to do this pattern again out of one of the cushy cashmere-wool blends or something similar. It was a fast knit, about 10 days at odd moments.




I also finally finished the Hemlock Ring Blanket. I am moderately pleased. I knitted with the Ecowool, and I loved the yarn. However, it seems that my cast-off edging is a little full for the actual edge of the knitted piece. I also don't think I did a very good job of pinning it out to dry, but I do have a good excuse for that. As I was about 1/3 of the way around, a bug flew into my mouth. Of course, I did the usual sputtering and spitting. It was a tiny triangular beetle of some sort. A minute or so later, the corner of my mouth began swelling, the gums on that side got very sore, and it stayed that way for about three hours. Needless to say, I did the rest of the blocking in a hurry! I am not sure how much practical use this item will be as a blanket, but it is pretty, and I did learn some techniques for keeping up with lace patterns that will be very helpful.


4 comments:

Carrie said...

Ooh - she'll love it!

Cheryl said...

I like your Hemlock Ring throw. Very pretty! I also have several Knitting Pure and Simple patterns I have yet to try. I am anxious to start top down sweaters. I enjoyed reading your experiences using them. Very nice blog!!

N. Maria said...

Beautiful doily! I love to knit doilies!

Alison said...

My mother taught English in my high school, and your pillow there cracked me up! I love the throw, too; it's very pretty.

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com