Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Very Plain Gray Socks

Happy Thanksgiving!


Even though they don't look like it, these are very special socks. One of my fiber goals for 2007 was to learn to knit continental. For some crazy reason, I did not start with a swatch or a scarf, but with a sock. When did I begin thinking of socks as simple projects? The first one is rather messy--uneven tension, skipped stitches on the heel stitch because knitting was one thing, purling was another, and a rather sloppy toe decrease. Fortunately, the tweedy yarn covered a multitude of sins. The second sock is better. I did cheat on the ribbing and knit English because I was still having trouble with the purling. I have decided that purling Norwegian style may be the way for me to go. Someone has said that EZ purled that way, so if it was good enough for her. . . .

The yarn is Meilenweit Mega Boot Stretch Soft Color. It made a wonderfully soft sock. I was knitting on 2s, so the fabric is a little loose. It was, however, a poor choice for learning a new technique because it is about the splittiest sock yarn I have ever tried. Even though the socks look OK, I don't think I'll buy any more of this yarn because I like others much better.


The gray is for my DH, and I am starting another pair out of Paton's Kroy in Glencheck, also a gray. I'm trying to talk myself into trying toe-up, since that's one of my remaining fiber goals for the year. I could perhaps finish that one. I don't think I can whip out an Alice Starmore in the next 3 weeks!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Looks good!

You know, if you just combine gray socks with the pink towel like in your picture, I think you have the new decorating scheme for that bathroom.....