Thursday, November 29, 2007

What the Yarn Wants to Be

I recently ordered some Noro Silver Thaw, color 9, from Webs to make a ruana that I saw on another blog. It looked like a good, practical garment that I would enjoy. Then I got a look at this beautiful yarn, and I convinced my DH to be my swift as I wound all 7 skeins of it. I started worrying about the pattern. Nevertheless, I began knitting and completed about 3 inches of the back. The colors were lovely, but the yarn was stripey enough that I began to get the feeling that I would only need a cigar, a sombrero, and a revolver to belong in one of those Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. What could I make that I would actually wear?

After rummaging through my pattern notebook and some internet sites, I finally decided on the v-neck neckdown woman's chunky pullover from Knitting Pure and Simple. The last sweater of theirs I made (Big Blue) fit perfectly when I knit to gauge, but I want this one to be a little looser to wear a turtleneck underneath and have more of a tunic feel. I am using a needle a little larger and knitting 3.5 stitches to the inch instead of 4. IF I have calculated right, and math was my worst subject, that should give me the ease I want. This afternoon, I tried on the top with the v-neck completed and almost one ball of yarn used up. It seems to fit fine, although I may have to make the neck edging a little wider than the pattern calls for to compensate for the change in gauge. I still love the yarn.

Of course, meanwhile I have gotten on Ravelry, so I looked at all the Silver Thaw projects and almost decided to rip out and order the KP&S Wrap Cardigan. However, I will wear this sweater much more if it turns out OK. All I know to do is to just keep trying it on while I'm making it.

I love my Knitpicks Options, but I do wish the cables had one of those little connector thingies to connect cables so that you could just slide off to a longer cable for try-ons or to shorter ones for stitch holders without having to put on a tip and knit or slide stitches off via the points. My old Boye set from the '60s had those, and they were handy.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, if you change your mind, A would probably trade you a hot-pink sombrero for a Fancy Nancy reading and some Oreos. :-)

The Purloined Letter said...

I love imagining you with the cigar and sombrero!Can't wait to see what comes off the needles.

BTW--we share a lot of fiber goals. Great idea to post them on the sidebar.