Friday, January 04, 2008

Audiobook Download Review

I downloaded Catherine Coulter's FBI thriller Point Blank through the Harrington Library Consortium's Overdrive connection--for free. Then I quite legally transferred the book from my computer to my Zen Nanoplus MP3 player. This was my first book downloaded to the player. I found the quality to be exceptional--much better than having to deal with cleaning and handling and loading multiple CDs. The tiny player fits in my pocket and the earphones are comfy. I knitted, wound yarn, ate lunch, cleaned out a closet, and, for the final two chapters, relaxed in bed while listening to the story. I still don't think audio is necessarily the way to listen to great literature--the kind that you need to underline, write comments, and reread that last paragraph to be sure you understand it--but for reading for entertainment, it is quite adequate.

Coulter's novel, by the way, is standard mystery fare, with a nod to her past as a romance writer. I always find this author to be an entertaining read.

1 comment:

LizzieK8 said...

I've been using Overdrive for awhile now through my library. Isn't it wonderful? I just finished Tess Gerritsen's The Bone Garden. Fantastic!

Right now I have Grave Tattoo by Val Dermid and The Missing by Chris Mooney.

I'm reading Cat to the Dogs by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. Really a simply cozy mystery.