Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter--Spinning and Walking

The unabridged audiobook of The Memory Keeper's Daughter seemed exceptionally long in places. I always wonder if the audio has a different effect on me than the written book would have. The premise of the story is very interesting, but frankly the angst of the parent who had given his child away and the refusal of the mother to deal with what she believed to be the stillbirth of her child got tedious after awhile because I was listening to every excruciating detail. I could only wonder what Phoebe's life would have been like if they had kept her. I'm not sure that they would have dealt with her Down's Syndrome in the wonderful way that Caroline did. I really wanted to see more of what was going on with Caroline and Phoebe and less of the other couple. I did, however, sympathize strongly with the son.

Notice, however, that I'm complaining about these people as if they are real. That's one of the tests of good literature--the creation of believable characters--and Kim Edwards has done a brilliant job of that. All things considered, this book was good brain food for spinning and walking and driving.

Spinning Monday--I bobbin of singles from gray roving from the Sheep Shed Studio.

1 comment:

LizzieK8 said...

Don't you just love it when characters in a book become our friends, enemies, acquaintances? Jo from Little Women is still one of my best friends!