Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pity Party

I have very little knitting content to post--working to finish a pair of socks for DH. I have spun and partially plied 4 oz. of Romney from Spunky Eclectic.

Otherwise, it has been a hectic week, the first back to school after the holiday. For one thing, we had 10 seniors do early graduation at semester. That may not seem like a significant number, but out of a class of about 70, it is a noticeable percentage, and a few of them were the ones that tend to make classes sparkle. I'll miss them.

As always happens, the electronic rolls are still messed up due to schedule changes, which in turn means the computer grading system is also down.

Also, the truth is that I am old and set in my ways. If I don't have at least a couple of non-committed evenings in a week, I feel harried and almost claustrophobic. I still work a few afternoons a month doing bookkeeping for our family business, and this week there was a snafu with some electronic checking that caused me to have to rush in and do an unexpected afternoon of telephone tag with government people. GRRRRR! (Today, I got a form that came from them, an official form, with an apostrophe error. I so want to get out the English teacher red pen and . . . .). I have meetings on two different evenings.

Today my principal saddled me with one of THOSE projects--something very simple that does, however, involve a lot of community relations. He is an administrator who is just passing through a small town on his way to bigger and better things. I, on the other hand, have known these people all my life and will continue to live here, so I have to do this RIGHT!

I spent a day and a half in a classroom with a fluorescent ballast giving off a terrible smell and not getting anyone to do anything about it. Thank heaven, it finally just went out completely.

And. . . the reason I don't have much knitting content is that I have been waiting for a DVD for about 2 1/2 weeks. I treated myself to the Knitting Workshop DVD by EZ. I already have the book, but I promised myself that I was going to work through the lessons to improve my techniques and I've been ready to start for a few days. It came today! I ripped open the package to discover the right invoice but the wrong DVD. I don't want to wait another 2-3 weeks, but I really don't have much choice.

And, the weird one. At school we are faced, in our workroom, with an entire table covered in red and yellow plastic sand buckets with our names on them. We are supposed to put anonymous notes praising or critiquing our colleagues in personal buckets which are open so that anyone can pick them up and read them. This is supposed to build morale. Perhaps I am cynical, but it looks to me like an efficient delivery system for being tacky and really hurting someone. I know what we would say if students set up something like this.

All of these are such petty things that I am not sure why they are getting to me. I'm going to go to bed with a mystery story!

On the up side, the crew is coming to start on a bathroom update tomorrow. I've already made some "before" pictures, and I'll post the "afters" as soon as possible. I'm not much of an interior decorator, but it will be nice to have something clean and bright.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

You left out the buckets! There's a prank in there somewhere. Oh, the ridiculousness.

Sherie said...

I get cranky when I have a lot of after work things that have to be done also. Seems like I just need my own time after a day's work. And the temperature in my office is 80 degrees and I'm just exhausted by heat at the end of the day. It's been that way for 2 months and I'm giving up hope of it ever being fixed!

LizzieK8 said...

Hope your days gets better soon. It's always hard to go back to work to be met with new and broken things...