Sunday, February 03, 2008

Book Reviews

Hard Truth by Mariah Stewart (unabridged audiobook)--definitely a light reading mystery. It is, however, suspenseful enough to make a long drive interesting and to knit by. It would have made good spinning fare as well, but I missed my spinning night this week. There are some other audiobooks in this series, and I will download them.

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman is a hard book to define. I think it must be a first novel, since I find no others listed. The setting is a girls' school in upstate New York, during the present and in flashbacks to the 1970s. The narrator, a former student, is now the Latin instructor at her alma mater, where she is being haunted by the horrible happenings of her past. The story is both eerie and psychological. This type of reading is not my usual cup of tea, but I found the story to be compelling. If I write anymore, I'll give away something about the plot, so I'm going to shut up.

FYI--Branagh Hamlet=1 sock leg

1 comment:

LizzieK8 said...

Have you read the Home Repair Homicide series by Sarah Graves? Nice cozy mysteries with neat characters. The Dead Cat Bounce is the first one. I'm on the third, Wicked Fix right now.

If you like a bit more gory mysteries, Triptych by Karin Slaughter is great. Finished it yesterday.