Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Book of the Dead

I'm a big fan of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series although I have not cared for some of her other work. This was the first time I've tried one of her books as an audiobook. I listened to it while knitting and spinning and bubble-bathing during the spring break. As usual, the book's plot was dependably intriguing. I am all set up to find out what happens to a character who has thus far been a major part of the series. I do, however, wonder how gripping the book would be for a new Cornwell reader who does not have a previous acquaintance with the characters. This particular novel did not stray into too much weirdness with some of the main characters, which has sometimes happened in the past. The voice reading the novel was also pleasing--always a big plus. If you are a Cornwell fan and have this one available for download, I would recommend it.

3 comments:

Princess Purl said...

I just discovered your blog. I also love Cornwell (only Kay Scarpetta books)and work in education in the TX panhandle (Hereford). I just wanted to say hello! :)

LizzieK8 said...

I used to love PC, but the last, oh, four or five novels, have been so bad, IMO. I don't like the characters anymore, and what's even worse, I don't think PC likes them either. She's punished and tortured them so much since Benton "died" that I dread reading them. I always do, in hopes that things will straighten out, but they never do....

Deb said...

I have to admit that I took Book of the Dead back to the library without finishing it. I used love Cornwell's books, but the last few have been so dark that I didn't enjoy them. I started reading this one and had the same reaction. I think I've gotten to point in my life that I can't read or watch stories with so much darkness -- I've even stopped watching some formerly favorite TV shows like Law and Order, SVU.