Thursday, April 03, 2008

Crossing the Finish Line


Stayed up late last night to finish the edging on the blanket for the Victory Junction. You can check the Victory Junction Gang group on Ravelry for details of the group project. There's still plenty of time to knit a blanket for this worthy cause. Some people are knitting blocks that will be assembled later. As I understand it, every summer camper takes home a hand knitted or crocheted blanket, and winter weekenders go home with handmade quilts.

The blanket is a Moderne from Mason-Dixon Knitting, slightly adapted. I only had three colors instead of four, so I changed the color arrangements, which also meant that I shifted the sizes of the blocks a little bit so that the colors would work out right. I also substituted an attached I-Cord border instead of the one in the book. I got the instructions from their website. I'm particularly proud of the corners:

I will admit though, that with the yarn I was using (Caron's One Pound) it was very tiring to pull the K2tog through. There was simply no give. Even my shoulders hurt. The blanket, however, should be very machine washable, which is a necessity in this case. I think I'd like to try a log cabin after this, but I want to use a yarn with some give.
New techniques learned:
The I-cord mentioned above.
Intarsia (in two different places where blocks are in a horizontal row.

School is in its insane phases at the moment, shifting from absolute boredom to chaos several times a day with all the spring activities going on.
I also finished reading Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. I thought I'd better read it because he's a major Texas writer and because the movie is supposed to be really good. It is indeed an excellent book and very thought-provoking, particularly if you're at the time of life when you tend to look back on the way things used to be. Be warned, however--this book is extremely violent in a particularly chilling way.
OTN--Kiri in KnitPicks Shadow
Heartbeat in Twize

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks good!

Sherie said...

The blanket came out fantastic! I love that edging. Glad to hear a comment on No Country for Old Men. I heard it mentioned on the Academy Awards, but had not heard of the movie. I'll have to check out the audiobook.

LizzieK8 said...

Great blanket. I haven't tried the intrelac yet, but it's on my list of things to do. Next Charity Log Cabin I get I'll try it!

Seems like every time you write a post I have a new book to add to my list!