Saturday, April 05, 2008

Knitting One, Spinning Zero

I just started a new book which is promising to be a delightfully fun read. Although I think it may officially fall into the Young Adult category, it was recommended to me by two different adults, and, in fact, I'm reading from a borrowed copy that is obviously "well loved"--The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. So far, it's great fun in a Harry Potterish sort of way, but not quite of the literary tone of Potter in vocabulary and sophistication of writing and so forth. The book is based on Greek mythology, basically a what if the Greek gods were still around causing the kind of havoc, including having offspring with humans, that they used to get up to in the myths. The protagonist of the novel is standing on one side of the road looking across at a fruit stand and sees three old women sitting knitting socks--great BIG blue socks. One woman is knitting one sock, the middle one is holding the basket of yarn, and the last is knitting the other sock. I wasn't sure until the middle one looked him in the eye, pulled out a big pair of scissors, and cut the yarn. The Fates have moved from spinning to knitting!

I would like to respond to a comment on a previous post by Princess Purl, but I have not been able to get contact information. If it was on the original e-mail feed, I accidentally deleted it. If you have a blog, I can't get the name of it. I've checked Ravelry and Knitter's Review but can't find a means of contact there.

I've also frogged the Kiri shawl. It had hibernated so long that my hibernating mind couldn't read the knitting any more, so I'm starting over sometime this weekend. I did join a KAL for it on Ravelry. I'm not sure that I'll start this weekend because I picked up my new trifocals yesterday afternoon so I may need an adjustment period before chart reading.

2 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Lightening Thief sounds good. I'm currently listening to The Sisters Grimm. It's pretty good, too. About the same reading level as the Spiderwick Chronicles.

The three fates knitting socks...sounds great to me! :)

Deb said...

The Lightning Thief is book one of 3 (so far!) I just finished The Titans' Curse (book3) and it's just as good as the others. I thought originally it was going to be a trilogy, but the way book 3 ended it's apparent that there's more on the way. My 6th graders love these books, and I usually do the first one as a read aloud during our integrated unit on ancient Greece and mythology.

I also recommend Gary Schmidt's The Wednesday Wars for a Shakespear tie-in!