Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"The Best-Laid Plans. . . ."

This post was supposed to have beautiful pictures of carousel horses. We are fortunate to have a small carousel in our area, at Wonderland Park in Amarillo, that has "real" wooden carousel horses. They maintain it very carefully. I've always loved the real carousels since I was a little girl and we used to go to Denver to the museum and the amusement parks. I don't even remember whether the big carousel was at Lakeside or Elitch's (not sure of the spelling), but I remember how I loved it.

Yesterday, we took 59 high school students to Wonderland for a day out. They had all given up evenings and weekends to compete in academic events, and we thought they deserved some kind of reward for that. I sneaked in my camera, intending to give you beautiful horse pictures. The weather was perfect--high 60s in the morning to low 80s when we left. However, since all the school groups that were there were older, the rides for younger customers never opened. The side drops on the carousel stayed down all day. So there are no pictures. You can, however, see a little bit if you click on the merry-go-round on this map and then enlarge the tiny pictures. I suppose this is really more of a merry-go-round than a carousel because of its size and the fact that it is just horses instead of the menagerie of animals on the big carousels. If you happen to be coming through Amarillo, this is a very nice family-owned park with many more rides than you would expect in a city of this size. It is always clean and well-kept with topnotch personnel. It's also not dreadfully expensive for a family outing.

There are no knitting pictures either. I had to make a computer change earlier than I expected. I'm replacing an older desktop with a large laptop, but I will also have a real keyboard (I'm faster and more accurate that way) and a mouse. I am not a touchpad person. In fact, I'm typing on the laptop right now, and my cell phone is lying here because I was calling my children for tech support on configuring some of the programs. I have grabbed it two or three times without thinking and scooted it around the table like a mouse. I get a lot of practice on laptops with the portable computer labs at school, but I still like a regular keyboard. The nifty thing is that my DD promises me that I can use the laptop and hook up an extra monitor that I have and be able to go back and forth from one window to another without having to switch layers all the time. That sounds wonderful!

Now I'm going to bed to dream about e-mail and the Stephen King novel I'm reading.

No comments: