Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today has truly been a time to reflect about the sacrifices that have allowed us to have the freedoms we enjoy today. Of course, it is a day to remember the sacrifices of those in the military and their families, but it is also a time to remember those who have gone before us who have left the world a little bit better. We owe all of those people a debt of gratitude for the freedoms and prosperity we enjoy today. We would do well to remember their hard work and courage when we complain about the hours we work and the price we have to pay for gasoline--or the fact that the DSL router has to be rebooted again. Today I drove by the place where my grandparents settled in New Mexico Territory with 6 children in a dugout, having moved out here from Illinois. I sailed by the place at 60 mph in an air-conditioned vehicle on my way home from lunch at Chili's.

The weekend has been wonderful. I had a peaceful Saturday at home, did a little Wallaby knitting that evening, spent Sunday in Amarillo to celebrate a DGS's birthday at Jump 'n Jive, and drove home in time to knit and watch the Coca Cola 600.

Today, I've been reading and doing a little laundry. I haven't even stopped to knit, but I did work on my car sock on the way to an out of town lunch.
I just finished reading David Baldacci's The Camel Club, a book I almost missed because I had read the other two in the series first and thought book number two was number one.

Tomorrow it is back to school for exam week, a 5-day week in spite of the holiday because we will work next Saturday. However, the schedule is somewhat more relaxed, even with all the end-of-year paperwork. One of the nice things about teaching that you don't have in other jobs is that you have lots of new beginnings. You get to wrap up, evaluate, revise, and start anew, hoping that changes you make will make things better. Not every job gives you that opportunity.

I've also been working with the new computer at home. I'm so excited to have Outlook again with some organizational capabilities that I haven't had for a couple of years, and I'm really enjoying a two-monitor setup.

No comments: