Thursday, July 24, 2008

Next

That post title should be in italics--Next by Michael Crichton. Of course, the book itself has been out for a couple of years now, but this was the audiobook. The book was quite thought-provoking in the same way that Jurassic Park was when I first read it many years ago. At the end of the audiobook, there is an interview with the author in which he again emphasizes many of the points about reforms that he feels need to be made in the way we are approaching genetic sciences.

Now for a review of the audiobook. I found the first hour or two rather tedious. For one thing, many, many characters were being introduced, and it was rather clear that finding voices for that many characters was a difficult job for any reader. Once the main story lines really developed, however, I felt the reader did a really good job. He even managed to infuse the text with suitable humor. The parrot was wonderful! The little interludes with news reports about developments in genetics were just right. The remainder of the story moved very quickly, it seemed, and I was very pleased with it. That, of course, does not include my own "dream" additions, which would not have improved the story at all because the characters would have been in a fix they couldn't get out of.

While listening this afternoon, I did a couple of hours of spinning. I'm trying for a much thinner single than I have been spinning, and I hope to Navajo ply it to keep the color changes for something that I have in mind. The roving I'm using is some Falkland wool from the Spunky Fiber Club. I was rather lonely, since my DGD has been here a couple of days this week. It was quiet without a baby around even though she usually takes a very long nap.

2 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Hmmm wondering if actually "reading" this one might be better... However it's on my list of books to read now.

Deb said...

I tagged you for a meme!