Friday, August 29, 2008

Timely Reading?

I haven't had time to make pictures. This is the first week of school with students, and it is going beautifully so far. Nice classes--we have a smaller senior class this year--and good organization on the part of the new principal have made this year so much better already!


I will post some knitting pics sometime this weekend.


I did, however, finish an audiobook in odd moments here and there. It's taken awhile because I was having some MP3 player difficulties. Tin Roof Blowdown, by James Lee Burke, is a Dave Robicheaux mystery set in New Orleans and the surrounding area right after Hurricane Katrina and during and after Rita. Some of the descriptions included in the book were heartrending. I wish I could believe it was all fictional, but I'm afraid much of it was based on fact. To finish reading it just as Gustav seems to be aiming for that area again is disconcerting.

1 comment:

FugueStateKnits said...

Hi Jane - just wanted to check in and let you know I am thinking of you and your charges this first full week of school! Hope you get plenty of rest/fun this last weekend of the summer:)
But isn't there something comforting about the advent of September?
It's like we're all getting back to business!
I'm going to look for that book to which you've been listening. It is disheartening to think of the poor beleaguered people of New Orleans having to deal with this again! My prayers are with them!
Take care and best wishes for a wonderful school year - I know your students are so lucky to have you!
Hugs,
Joan