Sunday, August 17, 2008

Yippee!


After fretting about the alterations to the ribwarmer and the weird form my pieces were taking, I worked like crazy this morning to get it to a trying on point. I had to come up with some way to attach the back to the front at the shoulders, so this is what I did. I left the flexible Knit Picks Options in the back and picked up the front shoulder stitches and the neck on another needle and left it in as well. Then I loosely crocheted the two needle cords together with a single crochet. I did not bother matching stitch to stitch, but just crocheted every three or four stitches. Then I tried it on. I am actually fairly pleased. The back looks great. The front sides over the bust are a little narrow. I should have increased more, perhaps two stitches on each increase rather than one, beginning halfway down. I'm going to put that in my notes. If, however, I wear this as an open vest, it will look fine, so I'm not going to bother with fastenings. The garter stitch gives the fabric a nice drape. So, now it's on to the I-cord. I had planned to use some beautiful handspun from some Spunky Eclectic roving, but I've discovered the grays clash, so I'm being brave and using some black alpaca/wool that I spun awhile back. At least I'm not going to need to frog the whole thing. Of course, I still have to get that I-cord edging on.

A second yippee--



Yes, that is GREEN moss on a tree. For those of you in other parts of the country, this may not be exciting, but in the Texas Panhandle, we don't see too much of that because our weather is much too dry. Of course, this tree has moss all the time on its north side, but it's mostly a grayish brown. However, we have had three or four days of heavy rain--for us that's 1-2 inches per day. We are on flash flood watch right now, which is great. Rain now means that the corn crop probably won't need another watering and that moisture levels will be great for planting winter wheat which will be used for pasture for cattle this winter and harvested early next summer. We're not farmers, but this is money in the pockets of everyone in the community. Thank you, God!

Yippee #3--Great job by Michael Phelps. However, all the reminiscing reminded me how "hot" all we single young things thought that Mark Spitz looked in '72. I think we were all quite taken with the photos in Life. Looking at the films now, it's hard to see past the hair. Isn't it funny how your perspective changes with the years?

And the best yippee of all--I got to share, and share, and share one of my favorite board books with my DGD last night. Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb was a favorite of my own children, and little M enjoyed the drumming as much as they did.

1 comment:

LizzieK8 said...

Yes, I do remember my tripping heart while watching Mr. Spitz.

Are we getting old?