Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Finished Project and an Apology

I know I haven't been blogging lately. All my writing effort has been going into writing teaching units for a couple of novels that I will be teaching in November during our "Big Read" project at our high school. This year our theme is the Western as a type of literature, and we are reading different books according to grade level. I'll be teaching a Louis L'Amour novel, Conagher, as well as All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy, for my AP class. That's a stretch from one to the other on the scale of "literariness." I want both of them to be valid experiences in literature for the students AND, for the purposes of this project, the products I expect back from the students can't be ordinary essays, tests, and study questions, but need to be something much more glamorous and creative, with CHOICES involved. Choices mean that I have to design a number of projects, some of which will probably not be chosen. I have the mobile computer lab reserved for the appropriate time, a schoolwide writing project coming from the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame, a Native American storyteller lined up, and the projects for each class in rough form in a spiral notebook. I'll have to write them up with clear instructions. The hardest part for me is always filling out the reading schedule. If it involves numbers, I'm no good: I will inevitably repeat chapters, mess up on dates, or something. If the chapter numbers are Roman numerals, it gets even worse! I think, however, that I have proofread my schedules enough to have them right although I may send them off to MDtTW to be checked again. (That's my daughter, the technical writer--Hi, Sweetheart!)

I have been knitting, however. Here is Wonderful Wallaby #3. The yarn is Paton's Encore (yea) and Red Heart Super Saver (ok). He decided he wanted blue on it, and I didn't want to wait to order a single skein from Webs. The fit is just right although the hood seems a little deep from back to front. I know I had the stitch count right, so I'm not sure what happened there. The color looks great on him. I'll try to get a picture on the child when I finish his little sister's sweater, which I cast on last night.

5 comments:

Soonerbeknitting said...

I love your Wallabys! I really need to dig out my book and try one.

I understand what it takes to write new units, but isn't it nice to have them done and then be able to use them for next year also? I am working on one for The Wednesday Wars for next year while my student teacher works.

LizzieK8 said...

Glad to see your back. And boy do I wish I could take your AP class. It sounds like something I would love to dive into. Wish I'd had teachers like you! ;)

Knittinreed said...

Great Wallaby. I love your color choices...

Isn't is just an annoyance when work gets in the way of knitting, spinning and blogging?

Nat Red Knits said...

I think your Wallabys looks great!

LizzieK8 said...

Please come visit my blog today, Friday, Oct 24. There's a present there for you!