Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Almost as Addictive as Knitting

While taking a knitting break the other evening because my hands and shoulders were tired, I was looking for something to do on the computer and remembered that I liked to do jigsaw puzzles. I fooled around for awhile with the traditional gaming sites. Then I googled again and found this one. This is a site--I think-- in which puzzles are made from pictures that readers of National Geographic send in. I have been fascinated! I've been doing puzzle after puzzle. Then, of course, I started analyzing what I've been doing. That gives me an excuse to keep doing it.


I notice that while the animals and flowers are interesting, I'm much more interested in human beings and how they live. I love the pictures of the old buildings in various countries, the colorful street markets, the pictures that show aspects of culture. Perhaps it's my old sociology minor coming out. Last night I began to reflect on how fortunate I am to live in a home that is perhaps not so picturesque, but is warm and cozy with plumbing and electricity and many other conveniences. I'm awaiting a firewood delivery today, but that will be something of a luxury, not an absolute necessity. While it will reduce our overall heating bill somewhat, thanks to our efficient little woodstove, I could have managed without it. I certainly did not have to go out and chop wood and stack it--I simply made a telephone call.


Merry Christmas everyone!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Jane,
Thanks for the puzzle site! It's kept me from pouting for at least an hour. There are power trucks running up and down the road today. Maybe today will be the day. Meanwhile, we're are "enjoying" freezing rain. One son is home safe; the other will be heading home later today from Rhode Island (about 2 hour drive) so freezing rain is not a good thing.

Have a wonderful Christmas

LizzieK8 said...

You never have to make excuses for enjoying yourself. I'm not so much into puzzles, but I have been known to spend a couple of hours playing Chuzzle!

Merry Christmas!