Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An Audio Mystery

It's been a few years since I read a novel by Anne Perry, and this is my first novel in her Monk series (not the television character Monk). I will admit that I chose it by default because my Over Drive selections from the local library consortium are rather limited. In spite of my initial lack of enthusiasm, I enjoyed the novel very much.

Set in Victorian London in the time following "the big stink," the novel contains abundant, perhaps I should say overflowing, information about the state of the London sewers and attempts at improvement during the Victorian era. How this unlikely set of circumstances provides a motive for murder and the search for the murderer among a group of characters containing members of all the sewer-related occupations creates a fascinating read. Since I don't have access to audiobooks of the previous novels in the series, I suppose I'll have to visit the library and actually read them the old-fashioned way.

2 comments:

FugueStateKnits said...

Hi Jane - wanted to stop by and say hi - your blog is really looking great! Also wanted to let you know that I finally started Tin Roof Blow Down (I think that's the title). Excellent reading - and it does indeed give one a sense of the injustice following Katrina.
Thanks for the post on that!
Hope you are enjoying the anticipation of the holidays and that all your students earn A's (Note, I said EARN, LOL:)
Take care,
Joan

Deb said...

I really enjoy Ann Perry's books. I haven't read Dark Assassin yet. I'll look for it. I'm finally back on line after the ice storm, though it could be another week before we get our power. We have our generator providing some of the necessities. Needless to say our holiday break started 9 days early so we will have a lot of time to make up!