Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Needed Elves--Got Gremlins!

I'm a real fan of the Knit Picks circular needles, and I've had good luck with the Options sets and the Classics as well. However, I tempted the knitting fates by thinking too much about how I was down to one pair of child's socks and one pair of worsted toddler socks. I Magic Loop, and I’ve noticed that often my cable is bent rather sharply right at the point where the cable joins the needle.


Yesterday, I cast on for the last pair of Christmas socks–not actually due till Jan. 1, thank heavens–knitted two rows, and a cable snapped about 3/8” from the needle! I laid those needles aside for repair and got out some others. Cast on again. Knitted leg, heel flap, heel–child’s sock–and started decreases. Cable came unglued from left needle. Thanks to the fact that all my stitches for that half of the sock were already on the metal, I was safe. I switched to another needle, one my DH had glued some time ago. Now the glue job is coming loose on it. Believe it or not, I think I have a couple of more pairs of needles in my needle stash, but I’m going to get out the glue before I start knitting this morning.


These needles have had rather heavy use. I have socks on them constantly. I don’t have all that many needles except for this one size, and I think KP actually replaced one that I managed to glue.



I’m still happy with the needles. Even with this going on, I didn’t lose a stitch because the metal part is longer than most circs, and the repairs will be easy enough to do. Furthermore, I have had one of those more expensive German circs come loose before, and I would have had only one needle of those rather than multiples due to the cost.

2 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

One hears this so often about Options. When they first came out and were uber popular, there were generally 4 or 5 posts a day in various places about breaking.

I think I'm glad I didn't have the money for them then and am still debating now....

Knittinreed said...

Oh, no! So far my Options have perfromed flawlessly! What length cable were you using?