Sunday, December 28, 2008

Vacation Days

This has been a wonderful Christmas holiday from school so far. The only down side has been a couple of very windy days that made going outside very unpleasant, but otherwise the weather has been nice.


Friday I went with my DS to Amarillo to pick up the DGS, who had been with his father for Christmas; we ran errands, played with the toddler DGD, and had what my grandmother would have called "a nice visit." I really had a good time--opportunities to spend that much time chatting with a very busy young man are few indeed.



Then, today, I allowed myself an unplanned knitting project. Felting has never been my thing. However, the other night I watched a show called How it Is Made on the science channel, and they were showing how Stetson makes hats. The felting process was fascinating--no, they don't knit them. I have had to replace my digital camera with a much smaller new one, so I Raveled--If you can Google, why can't you Ravel?--some instructions, hunted up some Paton's Classic from stash, and swatched last night. Today I knitted and felted the whole thing. Some way or another, I must have made a math error, but I have figured out how to make the finished case work just fine. As soon as it dries, I'll add a soft lining and then post a picture.
Tonight I began a plain garter stitch scarf from some leftover Noro Silver Thaw. I don't quite believe it myself, but I don't have a single sock on needles anywhere.

While knitting, I listened to an audio book, Memory in Death, by J.D. Robb, the mystery pseudonym of romance writer Nora Roberts. I wouldn't classify this book as great literature, but it was fun to listen to. For one thing, it is set in New York in the mid-21st century, so the little peek at a possible future world is interesting. The element of suspense is there, as well as romance between the protagonist Lt. Eve Dallas and her husband Roark. The reader of the audiobook did an excellent job of character portrayal. I think my local OverDrive source has one more book in this series available, and I will certainly listen to it.

3 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

My DIL loves J.D.Robb. I don't. I love Nora Roberts. So does she. Funny how one set of books by the same author appeals and the other doesn't?

Soonerbeknitting said...

Be careful - felting can become addictive.

I bought a pattern for a knitted, then felted cowboy hat. Haven't made it yet, but maybe next summer.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Knittinreed said...

It sounds like your holiday has been lovely. Thank you for sharing with us :-)