Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Dress Again

I finally returned to knitting on the dress. This is the section from the bottom of the ruffle to the underarm point. The directions said to knit 3" from the top of the ruffle before stopping to divide for the underarms. I have knit 2 3/4". Some posters on Ravelry mentioned having to go back and lower the underarm. If this is too loose, I think I can simply make the edging a little wider, and that will be much easier than ripping back.



The lace pattern itself is very simple--in fact, so simple that it can lull you into being careless. I am following the directions and knitting back and forth on the circular needles, which means that I am purling back between every row of lacework. I cannot figure out any reason that the garment up to this point could not be done in the round. It would go much, much faster, at least for me, and my hands do not tire of knitting the way they do when making an extended number of purl stitches. For the next garment, I think I will try to figure out how to do this much of the pattern in the round. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but if someone reading this blog has a different idea, I would like to hear about it.

2 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Oh so pretty!

elaines630 said...

I dont see any reason why you couldnt knit it in the round instead! The dress looks super cute!