Thursday, January 15, 2009

ELMO and Swatching and a Little Sheepy Recreation

When I got to school yesterday, the copy machine wouldn't work. I hadn't run off my class materials for the day because the copy machine man was there the previous afternoon working on it. Time for Plan B--

We are fortunate to have some nice technology available, and one of the things that I have new this year is ELMO. No, not the little red guy with the song--this ELMO is something like an overhead projector that will electonically project not only a transparency but also a book, a paper, my hand, or anything else under its light through the center mount presentation projector in my room. I have used it once or twice, but frankly, because it is new, I forget that I have it and don't plan for it. After some adjustment and extra twiddling which necessitated actually READING the manual, it worked beautifully. I did not run off paper on the copy machine for today --it works if you don't open the front door when it tells you to--and I'm planning to ELMO my way through the day. Of course, if ELMO is nonfunctional, I'll have to move to plan C, I suppose. This is one of the problems when they keep fussing at us to integrate technology. The only time my chalkboard didn't work was when someone had cleaned it with some strange cleaner.

The only downside to using ELMO yesterday was that I personally was in semidarkness for almost the entire day. That just made me feel gloomy.

Last night I swatched for the Mason Dixon dresses. I used a 4. The dress pattern said a 3 and a gauge of 21 stitches to 4"; the shrug said a 4 and a gauge of 22 stitches to 4". That doesn't seem logical somehow. When the swatch is dry, I'll measure. I really like the fabric the 4s created.

Finally, for anyone in need of a sheep fix, there's a nice computer jigsaw puzzle here. Puzzles are updated daily, so if you're reading this a day or two late, you may have to hunt a little.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You know, Elmo's birthday is February 3rd. I'm envisioning something entertaining with ELMO.