Friday, January 30, 2009

The Finished Set?

Admittedly, it is difficult to put a shrug on a hanger. It needs the rounded shape of the shoulders and the arms to stretch it to proper proportions, but here is the top to the Jane Austen dress displayed on a hanger with the shrug. I asked on the Mason Dixon Group on Ravelry if I should make the shrug matching or contrasting, and all the replies said contrasting:



And the back:




I love the cable pattern. I'm thinking of socks. . . .

Should I have used matching yarn and made more of a “sweater set” of it? I can still do that since I have planned a set that is the same size and the exact reverse. Comments are welcome.


Evaluation of the pattern: I found this pattern a little hard to start. It seemed to me that the directions could have been written a little more clearly in spots; nevertheless, once I figured them out, the pattern was extraordinarily easy to follow. The same criticism could be applied to the finishing instructions. If I had knitted shrugs before, I might have had a clue. Thank heavens there were some flat pictures to look at on Ravelry. I also notice on Ravelry that some people are knitting the shrug as a separate accessory to wear with shirts and jeans. It would be a great project for that purpose. It takes such a small amount of yarn that it would be a great leftovers project for a little girl.


I’m taking a Jane Austen break for a little while and doing some garter stitch knitting on my charity blanket. Seed stitch makes my shoulders tired for some reason, and I think I need to give it a rest before starting that ruffle again.


Furthermore, DH is home with a really rotten case of the flu, and next week our DGS will be staying with us for a few days, so I will be a kindergarten mom again. I just know I’ll forget the word rings on Thursday—I always forgot to see that his dad had them, so why should things be different now?

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks cute! You did good. :-)

Did we just not do word rings when I was in K? I don't remember them at all!

Knittinreed said...

It is adorable. I alsolike the contrasting color on the shrug - it will tie in beautifully with the fabric.

The shrug is cute - but when is your granddaughter going to wear this? Will it be warm enough for short sleeves or would she need the longer sleeves?

Whichever you decide to do, it will be perfect for a little girl :-

Soonerbeknitting said...

That is such a pretty set. I have no grandchildren yet, but I am filing these good ideas away for the future.

Deb said...

Lovely! I too am tucking these ideas away for the future --- when and if-- we ever have grandchildren.

LizzieK8 said...

Very lovely, Jane. The colors are great together.

And where was the pattern from?

Jeri said...

I think that's really cute! I like the contrast of the different colors - of course you can see if you like the pieces to match once the second set is knit! :)

Hope hubby gets well soon...

LovePridePrejudice - Emmaline said...

Simply adorable. Do you know where I can buy the pattern?