Thursday, January 08, 2009

I Was Afraid to Say Anything Earlier, but. . .

someone else's misfortune turned into good fortune for me. I have a Maytag Neptune front-loading washer and dryer set that I've had for a few years. I know there have been many posts on line by people who absolutely detest these appliances, but I am generally very pleased with mine. There has only been one problem. About 2 years ago, my sensor dry function on the dryer quit. It would turn off too soon, and the clothes would be wet and cold. We live in a small town and getting a repairman in is a chore, so I decided to wait until I needed one for something else. I haven't. Meanwhile, I was using the time dry, which still worked fine; however, I knew that having to guess at the time was probably wasting both natural gas and electricty.

Well, somewhere in all the comments and postings about the Yarn Harlot's recent experiences with the death of Sir Washie and the coronation of his successor and the successor's companion, someone posted about a similar problem and that they had solved it by cleaning the sensor inside the drum which had evidently become coated with residue from lint and fabric softener. I decided to give it a try. It took a little bit of on-line research to positively identify the sensor, but it worked! The load of clothes dried beautifully.


Meanwhile, an appliance repairman from a nearby town came into my DH's place of business. When DH told him what I had done, he said that my fix could not possibly have worked and gave my husband his phone number and wanted the model number of the dryer. However, I have tried the dryer again, and it has worked just fine. So far, I have a "repair" that has cost me nothing--if you don't count the cost of a laptop and internet service and all that yarn because otherwise I wouldn't have been reading the Harlot's blog--and one that will hopefully save me money in energy costs. I just hope that posting about it doesn't jinx my fix. (I'm feeling pretty smug because of what the repairman said. )


You may also notice that my blog design has changed slightly. I had to make changes in order to be able to use widgets. Book reviews will appear by mousing over the books on the bookshelf.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Your new layout looks nice. I did something similar with my previous Maytag --- cleaned the sensor and I got another 5 years. I purchased the top loader Neptune and dryer 3 years ago and I absolutely love it. Maybe the Maytag repair man really doesn't have anything to do!!

Soonerbeknitting said...

I am glad to see you started Shelfari. I have found it somewhat addicting!

LizzieK8 said...

Substitute 1/2 cup white vinegar in the final rinse for fabric softener or dryer sheets and you'll totally eliminate the residue that gummed it up in the first place.

Vinegar removes the soap from the clothes which is what causes the stiffness.

No, the clothes don't smell like vinegar and alas it does nothing for static electricity in the clothes. But a little SE might be a good exchange for efficiently working appliances and a frugal replacement for fabric softner.

You'll also find your towels will dry you better without the fabric softner in them.