Saturday, January 17, 2009

In Which I Document Gauge and Reasoning

The second swatch came out to the required 21 stitches per inch on size 5s. I am thinking that this issue could be why people are having trouble with sizing on this pattern. The pattern itself calls for size 3 needles. I am a loose knitter, and I pretty much always have to drop needle sizes. Had it not been for reading that this "ran small," I would have started with a 2.

After checking the underarm measurement on a similar style dress that is just a fit right now, I am going with the size 4 pattern on size 5 needles. The dress that fits is exactly 22" at the underarm, and it is certainly not any too big. In addition, this knitted top dress will have the bulk of the skirt gathering underneath, and I also notice that the armholes are made so that they will fit closely and not gap like a tank top, so I think a little more ease will be fine and give some growing room. I plan to cast on later this afternoon (housework calls, alas), using a knitted-on cast on to give a prettier edge to the ruffle.

2 comments:

Knittinreed said...

LOoking forward to your continued documentation - and pictures too :-)

Bingo said...

HELP! I saw where you asked about getting your widgets posted on your blog. I can not do it and I copy and paste and use gadgets but it never works. Any suggestions on how your obviously with such a lovely website have fixed this?