Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No Knitting to Show

Last night, I was very tired--it was one of those hard, uncooperative days at school. I used my knitting time taking a hot bath and reading a book! Tonight, however, I have plans to make some progress on the dress.


This morning my class listened to the Inaugural on npr.org. We couldn't get a video feed in that didn't keep stopping. The radio coverage was excellent. I think that was the first time I've sat in a classroom listening to a radio broadcast since Nov. 22, 1963, an afternoon I will certainly never forget. I particularly enjoyed the Perlman/Yo Yo Ma music because it occurred during the passing period, so I was in my room all by myself listening to that beautiful selection. I felt it was important for students to hear and be a part of something this historically significant. Perhaps it made a difference for a few of them. (One student had come in asking if we were going to listen to the "Iraq-nation." Scary. He's 18.)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you for giving the students the opportunity to listen to history in the making. Not all teachers did.

Deb said...

Our whole school(Gr 6-8)watched the Inauguration via cable TV hookups. Our 6th graders were only semi-interested in the events on TV; they were more interested in their teachers' reactions! Good discussion evolved afterwards as to why so many of us were moved to tears.

LizzieK8 said...

I was at the VA hospital for an appointment during the oath taking. I was surprised at the lack of response by the vets. I clapped and cheered as did maybe four others in a room of 20 or so.

I rewatched it several times through tears as the day wore on.

elaines630 said...

The Yo Yo Ma performance was amazing! I am lucky enough to live right outside of DC in VA, so I was on the mall on Tuesday. I couldnt see anything, but I was able to hear it all! During Yo Yo Ma's performance, a group of seagulls were flying around the sky. It was so beautiful. My fiance took a really short video of it - only about 10 seconds. I tried to upload it to youtube, but I couldnt figure it out!