Thursday, January 01, 2009

On the Ninth Day of Christmas. . .

I can finally post about some knitted items that I made for Christmas presents since we had our family Christmas gift opening today. Some of you have already looked at the projects on my Ravelry page, but here they are for those of you who haven't.

I made two pair of Symmetrical Braided Mitts for my DD and DDIL. I made them so that they could buckle toddlers into carseats without having to remove their gloves, but both of them immediately said something about working on their work computers when their hands are cold. I think these are a little bulky for that purpose, so I may try some Endpaper Mitts out of some sock yarn. Those would be a nice colorwork project. This pair of mitts is from some Paton's Classic Merino in Very Blue. They have a really nice feel.
The second pair is from Lion Brand Wool Ease in a green heather color which I think has been discontinued.


The Symmetrical Braided Mitts pattern is available on Ravelry.
I also made Christmas socks for the two older grandchildren. The first pair is based on the Eclipse socks that I found on Ravelry. I made the ribbon shorter because I thought the duplicate stitch might be uncomfortable when stuck in a little shoe. The pocket is just big enough to hold a quarter.



The socks for the grandson also have a pocket. I thought the ribbon design would be too girly for a young man.


Both pairs of socks are knitted from Knit Picks Essentials and Essentials tweed.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

You did a great job! :-)

Deb said...

Cute socks!

Soonerbeknitting said...

I really like the mitts. I found a colorwork pattern on ravelry that I plan to try - my new skill for 2009.

Side note - have you looked at shelfari? It's a place to note books you have read, has discussions, etc. I am having a lot of fun with it.

LizzieK8 said...

Love the sock pockets. Just a patch pocked added on? Be cute for Granddaughters!

Whatcha reading these days?

Knittinreed said...

Perfect projects! I bet the recipients were thrilled :-)

Granny said...

Re: your blog design...I'm afraid Susie isn't working with blog designs any more. She did mine but it's now a different animal since I've changed nearly everything but the header. I didn't have any trouble adding widgets to mine so I'm not sure what to tell you!

turvid said...

Nice mitts and socks :)

Happy New Year!