Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Somewhat Silly New Year's Resolution

In my quest to work smarter so that I can have more time to do the things that I really want to do and spend time with people I value, I have tried all sorts of things. However, it has dawned on me that I haven't been doing a very good job of using tools that I already have. For example, I seem to be habitually tossing a load in the washer early in the morning, running it before I leave for school, and then taking off out the door without drying it, either because there isn't time or because I get busy and forget. When I come in after school, I more than likely have wet stinky clothes that need to be rewashed, or at the very least, rinsed again. Think of the waste of water and electricity and detergent and time! This situation is particularly idiotic because I have a computerized washer with a timer. It is perfectly possible for me to load the machine, set the cycle, set the timer, and have the clothes wash just in time for me to walk in the door from work and, as my daughter says, "reboot" the laundry to the dryer as I go by. I just haven't been doing it. I have the same sort of cycle on my dishwasher. (I really don't like leaving the dishwasher running to cut off when I am not at home. I had an unfortunate incident many years ago when I lived in an apartment.) I am quick to take advantage of technology at school, so why haven't I been doing it at home? Notice that I haven't mentioned the oven timing system. That's because it doesn't work. Therefore, I resolve to make better use of the technology I have that will make my life easier. (Now I just have to remind myself to empty the dryer.)

1 comment:

Jeri said...

hmmm. I have a set of Samsung front loaders that are about 3 yrs old - I have never noticed if there is a delay-timer setting but I'll be sure to check it! Great idea. My oven timer/clock cratered years ago, but I used to use the delay-timer on it when it worked. Now that its just me & hub, the timing of supper isn't so critical.