Tuesday, February 03, 2009

What I Had Forgotten About Being a Kindergarten Mom

This week, our almost 6-year-old grandson is staying with us while his parents are away on business. It's been 20 years since I've had a kindergarten student in the house.

  • When he says, "I have some sand in my shoes," he means about 1/2 cup per shoe, with gravel.
  • Was there a rhyme that went with making bunny ears to tie shoes, or did we just talk about poking the ear through the hole?
  • If a child that age wants to have "dinner" instead of "supper," go along with it.
  • It can be difficult to get bath water exactly the right temperature.
  • Riding the schoolbus from primary to grandmother's school is a big adventure if you never get to ride one.
  • There should be an explanation for everything. . . .

On the other hand, there is no longer a battle over having a sleepy child eat breakfast because it is provided at school.

Yesterday and today, we are going to the library after school for a Thomas the Tank Engine DVD.

Now if I can just remember to send those darn word rings back on Thursday! I never was any good at that.

2 comments:

Jeri said...

sounds like you're having fun! and I know you'll be glad when Mom & Dad get home too! :)

Deb said...

I hope the word rings got remembered!LOL