Monday, March 02, 2009

A Garter Stitch Weekend and Jane Austen 2


Since I was determined to get started on my granddaughter's blanket even though I had to frog the butterflies, I worked during the NASCAR races when I ordinarily work on my Victory Junction Blanket. I mainly just wanted to see if this would work. I think it does. The fourth color will be an off-white. The yarn I'm using is Vanna's Choice, in Light Dusty Rose and Antique Rose, and Vanna's Choice Baby in Mint. The off-white is some Schachenmeyer (spelling?) that is very nice. I've had it in stash for some time. I must admit that even though this yarn is acrylic, it is much, much easier on the hands than the Red Heart.


I also got around to making a photograph of the second Jane Austen set. This one is also for a 2-year-old granddaughter. I'm starting on the set for the 6-year-old tonight.



Today is a little-recognized holiday--Texas Independence Day, the day Texas declared its independence from Mexico in 1836 with the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence (What else?) at Washington-on-the-Brazos.

Tomorrow is THE day--the English Language Arts TAKS Test. After this day is over, we can go back to teaching something much more interesting and worthwhile for the rest of the year. I always feel as if an enormous load has been lifted from my shoulders when the day ends, even though my seniors are already past the testing. I still tutor younger students, teach one class of sophomores, and have departmental responsibilities.

Now, please allow me to be totally unreasonable and complain about the weather for awhile. One of the things I like about where I live is that we have a change of seasons without having the extremes--most of the time. However, we do have the occasional non-winter, and this has been one of them. I have worn a coat about three days. I know it seems awful to complain when so many of you out there have had power outages and slogged through snow in extremely cold temperatures, but the unexpected warm is not great either. Our allergy season has been extended because many of the native trees begin pollinating in January when we have a winter like this. For those allergic to red cedars and other trees, the early pollination only complicates the flu and colds that are normally part of the winter mix. No really cold weather also means no moisture, and we have wind, usually in the spring, but we have had quite a bit this winter. We live on the edge of what was the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, so very dry, very windy weather means dirt in the air. My humidifier is running constantly, and even that is sometimes not enough to keep my sinuses from hurting. And the worst? High school seniors get very restless to get OUT OF HERE in the springtime. Unfortunately, when springtime begins in January instead of late March, the season of obnoxiousness lasts much, much longer. I am fast developing a case of the real grouchies just dealing with them. Ha! "Developing" is an understatement--I've been at the full-blown grouch level for a couple of weeks. Dealing with late papers, students and parents ungrateful for extra effort on my part, poor attendance, and their general gripiness has me down.

No comments: