Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Jane Austen Trio

The three dresses


With shrugs (and wind)


They are finished just in time for spring! The three Jane Austen Dresses with Shrugs for my granddaughters! They are not perfect, and there are things that I would certainly do differently if I were beginning the project again, but I promised an evaluation, and here it is:


The yarn--I used Knit Picks Shine Sport, a cotton, modal blend. I chose it because of the cotton content, the price, and the color availability. I love the feel of the fabric that it makes, particularly after it is washed, and I think the girls will find it to be very comfortable to wear and their moms will find it easy to care for. However, any ends want to fray terribly and work their way out of where they have been secured. I have used Fray Check on them to attempt to remedy the problem, and I sincerely hope that something doesn't unknit.

The skirt fabric--purchased from The Quilt Shoppe. Three different patterns of "Dreaming of Roses" by Jane Shasky for Henry Glass Fabrics in the blue and yellow and green colorway. It is a nice quality quilting cotton. When I ordered, the fabrics arrived promptly and were packaged beautifully.

My knitting skill--I am NOT pleased with the appearance of the seaming that I did on this project. The yarn has such a smooth texture that any seam I could come up with just didn't look good on the stockinette. Even the two dress tops that I modified to be knit in the round required an inch or two of seaming to keep the back openings from being longer than the shrugs.

Added details--Dressmaking details on the skirts:


TWO pockets for the girl who loves them




A pocket, a band, and a grow tuck




A patchwork panel with hidden pocket for the big girl, who likes butterflies



Instead of sewing the skirts on by hand, I attached them with machine stitching--a straight stitch length of 3.5 on my Janome.

Rose (of course) buttons, found somewhere by my daughter. No, the leaves don't go with the rose buttons--they're on the tree.

6 comments:

The Quilt Shoppe said...

Those are the most darling dresses I've ever seen. I just know the girls will love them :) Thanks for sharing!

Carrie said...

Those came out really well! Flutterbug approves. :-)

Knittinreed said...

Oh Jane - they came out beautifully! The girls will look absolutely adorable for Easter. Pics when they wear them, please???

LizzieK8 said...

Oh how gorgeous! I love them! Saw the pattern while browsing through Mason Dixon at Borders and thought immediately of you!

Deb said...

Adorable!! Makes me wish I had granddaughters (or daughters --- I just had boys!) I love the delicacy of the fabric patterns. I am sure they will love them.

Jane Shasky said...

Hello!
I just found your adorable dresses. These are the fabrics that I designed for Henry Glass. Can I have your permission to use them in my blog?
thanks so much!
Jane Shasky