Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Garter Stitch

I have been busy since the last post, but I've been jumping from one thing to another.


On the knitting front, I've begun another Moderne Blanket, this time for my grandson who will be having a birthday in May. Because of the deadline, I'm working on this project exclusively, with the exception of the dishcloth I have on needles in the car. I bought the Sapphire Vanna's Choice last weekend, but the rest of the yarn is from those boxes I sorted last week. I do like the combination of the four colors together.




While waiting to go out of town for the blue yarn, I also managed a few more color strips on the Log Cabin Blanket that I'm knitting for the Victory Junction Camp. Even though there is a deadline, it is not so pressing as the birthday gift.


What else have I been doing? Well, last week was the end of a grading period, so I had grading to finish and grades to post. It is also a busy, tense time of the year, when feelings are easily hurt and everyone's tempers are rather short--not a good combination. I wasn't directly involved in anything, but I did try to smooth some feathers and pour oil on troubled waters. (I tried to work in a third metaphor, but I didn't make it.)


This week, I've begun studying for that other certification test I need to take--I'm scheduled for May 8. Some of it is boringly technical, dealing with flow charts and procedures. Some of it is sociological and cultural, and I'm making use of a minor I have for the first time in a long time. Other parts of it deal with linguistics, something I haven't studied in a long while. This may be a really interesting experience.


I also had a birthday. No, I'm not saying which one, but it was one of the ones that ends in 0. It also marked the point at which my pension reached 100%--not 100% of my salary, just of the allowed amount without any deduction for early retirement. I'm not planning to quit right now--certainly I wouldn't be taking the above test if I were--but there's a certain freedom and lightheartedness in knowing that I can if I want to. DH and I went out for Chinese on the day before my birthday, and on the day itself I took a couple of naps, something I almost never do. For some reason, I was just very relaxed and content. It was, of course, also Easter. My son's family came over and hid eggs in the house for the little ones to find. That was fun to watch.


I've also posted some new book reviews on the Shelfari shelf in the sidebar.

3 comments:

Knittinreed said...

Happy Birthday!!! Love the Moderne Blanket :-)

FugueStateKnits said...

Happy Birthday an many more:)!
Love the colors on the Moderne! Your grandson is a lucky guy:)!

Deb said...

Happy birthday --- oh the luxury of being "able to retire" even if you're not planning to. I have 5 years to go before I can retire without losing any benefits. Seems way too long at this point.