Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Weekend Privilege

I do indeed miss having a family at home and underfoot, but this past weekend I had a terrible cold that hit me at work on Friday. I must admit that coming home, getting comfortable, and not having to take care of anyone else was a great relief. I spent the entire weekend trying not to contaminate my DH (therefore, I didn't cook). I knitted on my Moderne Blanket for my granddaughter because garter stitch was the limit of my abilities. Saturday went something like this--vacuum corner of living room, put stuff back, sit down in exhaustion in recliner, knit, fall asleep for an hour, get up and do it all over again. I actually got an amazing amount done, but I was only able to sleep in short snatches at night as well. I was still pretty groggy when I came to school yesterday morning, but I was much better by noon. Today I'm fine. I think part of the recovery process was being able to relax totally.


Not only did I recover, but I finished the blanket last night:



I made some changes to the Moderne pattern from Mason-Dixon. First of all, I knitted on size 8 needles with Vanna's Choice yarn. This makes a somewhat looser blanket, but it is also more drapey, which is what I wanted. I did not make the bottom intarsia blocks as long as the original pattern because I was trying to make a more child-sized project. This is a cuddle-up-and-read-a-book afghan for a little girl who has one of those Pottery Barn Anywhere Chairs in her room as a reading spot. I'm all for encouraging the idea of curling up with a good book. The other change was that I slipped the first stitch as if to purl on each row. That makes the back of my project look better, I think, and it certainly made the I-cord faster and easier and more even.


Now I'm ready to start the similar afghan for my grandson. His needs to be finished by May 22. After I sorted stash the other day, I discovered some yarn in the colorway that I have planned, but even with all that stash, I need to buy two more colors to add to it. I could knit something else, but I can't give up the project that I have in my imagination.


Before I start on a blanket, however, I am going to have to make some changes to the neckline edging of at least two of the Jane Austen dresses. The necklines are much too loose and floppy. I wondered when I noticed that the edging stitch count was very close to the total number of stitches around the neck. I'm going to remove the existing edging and knitm skipping some stitches and make the edging somewhat wider as well. I think the skirt weight pulling down on the rather soft yarn has made a difference also.

2 comments:

FugueStateKnits said...

That blanket is wonderful! Love the way you finished it and the choice of colors! Encouraging curling up with a book is a great thing - for people of any age! Think of the wonderful gift you are giving her:)
Take care,
Joan

Knittinreed said...

GLad you are feeling better now. Sometimes just shutting down is the only way to recover.
The blanket is beautiful! I think anyone who has the patience to knit blankets shoud have a gigantic gold star! Here is yours :-)
Thanks for stopping by.