Sunday, May 17, 2009

Knitting Content at Last!



This is a Mason-Dixon Modular Log Cabin reading blanket for my grandson. His birthday is this next week, so I've been madly knitting garter stitch for a month. This is my third garter stitch project in a row, so I'm ready for something with some pattern! The yarn is a mixture. This is a toss around blanket for a 6-year-old, so washability is essential. I used a combo of Plymouth Encore, Wool-Ease, and Schachenmayer Nomatta from my stash, and Vanna's Choice in a lovely Sapphire color. I'm very pleased with the color combination. I could feel a big difference in the yarns as I knitted them, but after washing the blanket to block it, I can't feel much difference. I also completed a dishcloth, my in-the-car knitting project, but I didn't make a picture. I think the pattern won't show up well because the yarn is a very light mixture.

What else have I been doing? Well, I've been finishing up odds and ends for school. I've also read the first two books of the Twilight series--reviews in the sidebar--and rearranged my bathroom cabinet for towel storage since the carpenters are through in there. Today I hope to do a little bit of work toward getting my sewing/knitting room in order and some planning for the February Lady Sweater which is my next project for myself. I have also completed the first segment of one of four on-line computer classes that I'm taking as staff development for next year. And, ugh, I have to finish some bookkeeping for our business.

In October of 2008--I'm a little slow--I visited a spinning and weaving demonstration at a museum. I'm not sure that I want to be tied down to the stationary nature of a big floor loom or anything. I looked at the little Cricket and the Ashford Knitters Loom, but then I remembered the demo I had watched on the triangle loom. So I have ordered a kit on Etsy from Hideaway Homestead for a 30" plywood version. I'll have to fasten the ends together after I put in my own nails, but if there's anything a hardware store owner has, it's nails. This small purchase should let me find out if I would be interested in making or buying one of the big looms to do shawls on. All I need is a new fiber interest!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

The blanket looks great! I think he'll like it.

Loved your reviews. Did I tell you that Dakota Fanning has been cast as Jane for the New Moon movie?

FugueStateKnits said...

Love the colors on that blanket! He should love it!
Re: Carrie's comment - as in EMILY of New Moon????
That was one of my favorite childhood books!
:)

Sherie said...

Love the blanket!! I just started one with double strands for my grandson.