Saturday, June 20, 2009

An Experiment


I am spinning from what is labeled as "batting" rather than from a prepared spinning batt. I think this was primarily intended for needlefelting. The wool is Rambouillet. I'm using my Bosworth, and I was spinning on a car trip today. The drafting is difficult enough that I'm mostly using park and draft, particularly in the car. (Once when the spindle actually dropped, we had to stop because it rolled back under the seat.) The single is fine, and I intend to ply it with some silk hankie that I have already spun and then try to make a smoke ring from it.
I've had this for almost a year, but for some reason this week spindles have been calling my name, so I decided to give it a try on the trip.

2 comments:

Sherie said...

I think you're right about the batt being meant for felting, but I like what I seen on the spindle. I think it should be great plyed with the silk!

Soonerbeknitting said...

Pretty! Was this from Three Sisters?

I went to the knitting group meeting in Amarillo yesterday and someone there was kind enough to start me off with my spindle. Fun!