Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How to Betray your Age

  • Accidentally revert to a LONG time ago and instead of referring to grades of gasoline as "unleaded" and "premium," use the terms "regular" and "ethyl." Of course, along with that terminology came the dialogue--"Fill it up with _____, please. And, yes, I would like the oil checked after you finish cleaning the windshield."

  • Admit that you watch NCIS, not just for Mark Harmon's great silver hair, but because whenever Ducky comes on screen, this is your mental image:

Illya Kuryakin, from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. As I remember it, the turtleneck was something of a trademark, but when I was looking for pictures to post, most shots were of him wearing a suit and necktie. My students don't quite believe me when I tell them that Ducky was the hot item when I was in high school.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

He looks less eccentric there.

Not quite as different as Hugh Laurie vs. Greg House, though.

Sherie said...

Ahhh, Illya Kuryakin! I remember when too.

Deb said...

I had such a crush on Illya in my younger days!!

How about House and Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster??

LizzieK8 said...

Illya was my first love.... And yes, that is what I see when I see Ducky.