Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I Am NOT Adjustable!

I do not adapt in any productive or enjoyable way to changes in the start of my day. I find that this character trait is getting more pronounced as I get older. This is the first week of summer vacation. I am still getting up at my 6 o'clock alarm--notice I said "at," not when it actually rings. This week I'm taking my grandson to Vacation Bible School. I consider that an enjoyable privilege. However, I am used to being out of the door by 7:30 a.m. at the latest and on the job by 8. The 8:45 start time for VBS is driving me crazy! I don't get any more done before I leave, at least not an extra hour's worth. I fritter, I get nervous. Even after 25 years back in this small community where Sunday School/Church begins at 9:45, I can't adapt psychologically. I LIKED early services when I lived in a city. Notice I didn't include Saturdays in this post. I do have a Saturday routine. It still begins early, but I do not expect to go somewhere until after lunch, so I have a pattern especially for Saturdays. Do all women experience this as they get older?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

*I* still have not adjusted to the time change.

And I think every business should be open by 7AM. Drives me bonkers when places don't open until 9, 10, or 10:30. Really, what's the point in opening THAT late? Might as well just not open at all. At least we're down to one naptime per day so things are slightly less inconvenient.

FugueStateKnits said...

wish I were like you getting up at 6 a.m.- I'd find something to do, believe me:)
VBS! I used to do the music for VBS many many years ago when my oldest was a toddler! Such great memories:)
I remember the kids were a riot.

Deb said...

My school year alarm goes off at 4:50 am and I get up at 5 am. On Sat and Sunday, I wake up, turn over and snooze til about 6:30. On rare occasions I really sleep late - til 7 am. That happens in summer too-- though I compensate by going to bed later in nonschool times. It's hard to sleep in! We're are still teaching til June 19th, and I'm off for the short summer on June 24th.
So about July 15th, I'll have adjusted to no school and I'll sleep til about 6:30.