Monday, June 22, 2009

Rippit!!!!!!


It's times like this that I am so thankful for the Yarn Harlot's blog. Some other blogs that I follow show beautifully executed, finely designed, exquisitely-displayed-on-a-very-expensive-mannequin projects. Stephanie gives us beautifully executed and well-designed projects but allows us to see the results of mistakes, misreads of instructions, and just plain inattention.
Last night I frogged my February Lady all the way back to the point where the increases start. I kept those first rows because I still think my cast-on is spectacular, and I needed to feel good about something. My increases just didn't look right in spots. They were lined up properly, but I think that I must have goofed up in places on knitting in back or in front of the stitch. I would have let one go, but when it became apparent that there was more than one example, like about two in each of the four increase lines, I knew they would bug me forever because otherwise the increases looked so darn good. So I frogged. Between 1 and 2 a.m. While watching Ice Road Truckers. On the theory that no matter how painful it is to frog, it is better than putting on a second pair of tire chains with a 40000 lb. oversize load in blizzard conditions in Alaska. It's all a matter of perspective. I have also determined that when I finish the garter stitch part of the sweater, I'm putting in a lifeline before I start the lace. If I have to rip back, at least I won't have to do this part over again. I also got some better split ring markers that I think will hold better and be easier to move up every time.
Don't forget that book reviews are in my Shelfari shelf on the right sidebar.
I have found that if I listen to an audiobook extensively during the day or right before going to sleep, I sometimes dream plot and continue the story. Of course, that means that I have added characters and changed the storyline in a somewhat confusing way. Last night, Jane Eyre, while strolling in the gardens at Thornfield, heard voices and splashing. Peering over some bushes, she spied Mr. Rochester and some companions clad in those old-fashioned striped-top bathing suits, cavorting in a sizeable pond. Fortunately, I was startled awake by this, probably because I've read the book so many times that I was aware that it didn't fit. Right before I went to sleep I had been reflecting on the idea that until Jane encountered Rochester, she had lived in a world that was almost exclusively female. With the exception of the apothecary who was kind to her, her experience with males such as her cousin John and Mr. Brocklehurst had all been highly negative. Perhaps those thoughts prompted the dream. Whatever the cause, after going to bed at two something, I was up at three something sorting out the plot of a classic novel.

1 comment:

Knittinreed said...

I am so glad you posted this because I just frogged the entire Juno Regina. Like you I pondered letting it go but decided I couldn't live with it.

Maybe my problem was that I was knitting to Ice Road Truckers!

Thanks to lifelines, things on my end are also progressing again.