Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A View and a Sweater

IMHO, one of the best things about reading blogs is getting to see and hear about living in other places. I enjoy reading about the knitting, but getting regular updates about Sailing Knitter's voyage down the coast of Mexico and Central America, or those of you living in Toronto, Scotland, Guernsey, London, or other places makes for interesting and colorful reading. It occurred to me last week after reading the Yarn Harlot's wonderful posts about visiting Texas that there is a lot more of Texas than just the cities, wonderful as they are. Those of us out here in the lesser-populated areas enjoy ways of life that are quite different from you city folk. So naturally, since I'm wanting to show you about my part of Texas, here is a picture of New Mexico:

Our nearest sizeable town--35,000 or so--is actually Clovis, NM. What is it famous for? Well, there is Cannon AFB , and Clovis points, a type of prehistoric spearheads, were first found in a gravel pit at nearby Blackwater Draw. That's why they're called Clovis points. The city also has a connection with the early days of Rock and Roll.

This picture was actually made in the rural area north of Clovis called Pleasant Hill, where my mother was born. We don't have much in the way of mountains or rivers in our part of the world, but we do have lots of sky and wonderful clouds.

I have also been doing some knitting. I need to do some reworking of the Jane Austen dress tops for two of my granddaughters, but after knitting three of those and making 3 acrylic afghans since Christmas, my fingers were itching to tackle some wool. I frogged a project that was not turning out as I liked and began the February Lady Sweater. I'm still on the yoke, but it is a pleasure to be knitting with wool again--amazing how much easier it is on the hands.

. The yarn is Elann's Highland Wool in the color Violet Heather. I thought it was interesting that Knitting in Color commented about the name of this color because I was thinking the same thing. The neckline cast on of the sweater is at the bottom. I used a cable cast on, and I'm particularly pleased with the way it looks. Now if I can just make the rest of the sweater turn out as nicely!

2 comments:

FugueStateKnits said...

OOOh - love the yarn you chose! You're inspiring me to get moving on the one I'm knitting!
Hope you're enjoying your summer!
Your pics of TX remind me a little of where we lived back in 1959-60 in a suburb of Dallas called Cherry Hill, I think (I was in K that year, LOL!) But your part of TX is the panhandle, right? (Gee, I wonder whence I got that idea?)

Deb said...

I've got the FLS in my knitting queue too. I love the color of yours. I would love to see a sky like the one in your picture. All I've seen lately are rain clouds!