Thursday, July 09, 2009

A Couple of Fibery Visits

One of the great pleasures of our short trip was getting to go somewhere that had something to do with my fiber interests. I had allotted
a day to get there and to locate them. The actual locations turned out to be on the same road about a mile or so apart, so we spent much less time wandering around than I had anticipated.
The first place was Victory Alpaca Ranch in Mora, NM. I think they show up at some of the big fiber events. I know their web site is quite nice. The only alpacas I had ever seen were in little pens. These animals look much happier:
There were mothers with crias:



The shop with their products and many other gift and fiber choices was lovely. There was a gorgeous shawl that I have a good mental picture of. For sale, they had their own handspun, but it was out of my price range. They also had some roving, but what I saw was either dyed or in very small packs. Then I saw these bundles. Even though they are just carded, and the lady gave me instructions as if I were going to felt, I handspun a little bit of the fiber, and it worked beautifully. I will probably blend with wool anyway, so it will go through the carder again. (If this is the wrong thing to do, will someone please let me know.)


The next stop was on the corner of the turn to Victory Alpaca. The name of the business is Tapetes de Lana. It is a weaving center with several looms, only one of which was weaving at the time, and a new spinning facility out back. They produce yarns mostly for weaving, including very interesting Churro yarn that has lots of personality. The lady did show me some yarn blended from Cotswold and Rambouillet that she intended for knitters. They hope to produce more of that kind of yarn since they have expanded the mill. I bought three skeins of yarn that I plan to use on a triangle loom if I ever get one made. I actually have a small one already. I was also interested in the dye used.


Left to right, these are dyed with madder, indigo, and osage orange. For those of us who know that last one as bois d'arc or "bodark," a very tough wood used in fence posts, the idea of using it as a dye is rather interesting. The wool is Cotswold, spun to a rather firm worsted twist.
This business is a workshop designed to train workers and preserve crafts. They have sort of a fiber club that will be sending out samples of various yarns as they develop their products. They also have some looms and rugs on display at a coffeshop on the Plaza in Las Vegas. We looked at them as well.

1 comment:

Soonerbeknitting said...

I have been to both of these places. I loved Victory Ranch!

Sounds like you had a great trip.